Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pause to Paint: Paint to Pause

"Pause" by Jim Carpenter, Acrylic on Crescent Illustration Board, 9 1/2" x 6 1/2"


Is it a certain madness that drives 417 artists to agree to making 30 paintings in 30 days and to blog about them?  Is this just another opportunity to race with the clock?   

I recognized that hopping onto a challenge that seems to hold a promise of working, working, working, might be a bit crazy for me to attempt right now, given all that I have on my schedule.  But, underlying this rush of productivity is the current of creation, of self- expression, of dis-covery of self and of what is around us.  It's essentially an opportunity to "pause."  

It may seem at first glance a bit ironic that the painting that came along on day 2 for me in a 30 day challenge of productivity is one that reflects the importance of taking time to pause, but I find it surprisingly appropriate.  To take pause in the journey, to be curious, to read the text and interpret the symbols that surround us, to wonder at the mystery and to become fully engaged with it -- all of that is what making art is about.  

Here is the "start" that  led me to pause. Can you see the figure pausing in there, waiting for me to dis-cover it?  







2 comments:

  1. I instantly recognised your work when browsing the list, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim I always love to experience your art and read your blog. Always gives me "pause". Good luck with the challenge and I know you will be creating magical art. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete