Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Imagination At Work Is Imagination At Play

"Rambling After Underpinnings" by Jim Carpenter, Acrylic on Crescent Board, 20" x 28" 

"For the creative spirit, the act of walking harmonizes work and play." - Tom Hodgkinson


Harmonizing Work & Play: Day 16 Meditation


A friend commented about the irony of all of the activity I am engaging in for the 30 Day Challenge while claiming that I am being idle. I have to admit it does seem pretty contradictory. The truth is that I am enjoying every aspect of the challenge. Today's painting may be one that reflects that irony and the efforts one makes to harmonize work and play. 

The painting is banded above and below by a strip of calm space, a place where the eye, as well as the heart and spirit, can rest. It is the in-between that holds all of the activity and the bits of symbols and text and marks and remnants of history. 

What lies beneath the landscape?  


1 comment:

  1. I love this. Yes, little bits of history carved there. It remind me of the cliffs along the ocean in La Jolla. I love the distant meas, and the calm, warm sky.

    ReplyDelete